Vacuum Bones


My bones are vacuum sealed to my skin (naturally) 
I was sucked through one end of the hose and out the other
And now I am spindly and starved-looking and all point, no curve
You can pick me up, with one hand, sling me over your shoulder
I am filled with joy garnished with the disappointment of wasting away 
As you toss me onto the couch
I crumple and fold ankle to ear, gums swollen, skinny 
My my my what large ribs you have 

I understand a princess once chose you 
Pale, well rounded, not corpulent, but full 
Not sucked through the vacuum hose, but fed dinner routinely 
And you could not pick her up, so you held her 
No wrinkles or crumbs or spine, just skin, plucked and satiny
The kind that looks pleasant with a backdrop of silver
One apple between a set of roasted teeth
Cheeks pink from poisoned grapes, a dainty drunk

And it is when I look into the mirror and think of her 
I manage to shift into a stupid whorish hound, belly dragging 
From starvation, food in front of bulging eyes 
And yet all I see is her, dressed in flowers and dough and rosemary 
I beg for her chest and legs and lips and I cannot have them
Meat and potatoes and butter are set at my feet 
And still, bewitched, I ask for the impossible 
The pounds of a princess granted to my vacuum hose bones. 






Comments

Popular Posts