An Ode to Little City




Good morning little city
That begs to me come drink
To travel to its center 
And hear it's pennies clink 
To sit up on the barstool 
And take upon my mind 
A stranger's warming story 
Of newly wedded wife 

Good morning little city 
With both graveyard and book 
With evergreens and needled pines 
And both lover and crook 
With caps of white and golden 
With floor of bottle green 
With rock gardens and children
With window panes and screens 

Good morning little city 
Who grabs me by the wrist 
And walks me to the corner mart
To put liquid on my lips 
Who tugs me by the collar
To the tattoo place on main 
And shoves me oh so drunkenly 
To find that art is pain 

Good morning little city 
That brings me down to earth 
Quite literally, into the cave
With echoes full of mirth 
That puts me in the backyard
Of a Desert Goldenrod 
And forces me to look upon 
The hand of a sweet God

Good morning little city 
I'm leaving you today 
I shall not be returning 
Until my old love moves away 
But wait for me with patience 
I'll come for you in time 
The only thing wrong with you 
Is the man you house inside 




Comments

Popular Posts